Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2011

{Spirituality Sunday} Time, Talents & Treasures

One of the things my Bishop always talks about is the importance of giving of one's time, talent and treasures to the house of the Lord. I couldn't agree more. I've been attending DWO for about two years now and up until now; I've only given my treasures (tithes) and was trying to figure out where I could fit in terms of giving my time and talents to one of the many ministries.

Well, a few weeks back, the leader of the Children's ministry asked me if I had ever considered volunteering with the kids. I had, back when I first joined but never followed through with it and I told her as much. She told me to give it some thought. I know me; I'm a (bit) of a procrastinator and I knew that if I took the application that I would probably lag on turning it back in. So, I filled it out and submitted it then and there.

After a background check and a few weeks, I was given my first assignment which begins today at 10:30. I'm excited but nervous; it feels like the first day of school. I'm not sure what to wear (my ankle is still all messed up so I can't wear dress shoes). I normally wear sneakers to church, so it's not that big a deal, but I usually attend the 8:00 service. I'm not sure how wearing my Adidas Samoas will go over at the more crowded and formal 11:00 service.

At any rate; I'm excited to follow through with one of the charges that I have felt led to do over the past two years. I don't know if kids are my niche but, you gotta start somewhere. I'll report back to let y'all know how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment